"Accolades For Valor" by Matthew Johnson (1993): "She goes through life, gliding, a benevolent seer/ Stopping constantly to aid those in need, those not even dear/ I, an individual, swept up in the storm/ Of a woman, who, in search of herself, defies the norm/ As I, an outcast, fighting myself, yet daring to believe/ That if I ask her aid and succor (and possibly love) she won’t leave/ Giving her heart, mind and soul to every known cause/ Causing me to look about my selfish malestrom, and in introspection give pause/ For all her words, she won’t write about me, does she fail to perceive/ What the object knows to be true and what make believe—/ Words rarely present, presence much more of one/ Is to wish for more as good as wishing for the sun?/ Energy is precious, as I know well to be true/ And I am curious to know, Lorraine, what I can ask of you/ Names are important, they make us who we are/ Much more important than people give credit, by far/ The masses may cry “Lori!” and let them do so!/ For the numbers who call that cannot understand/ They will never know the Lorraine inside, the one crying to live/ Will be forever frustrated by those whose minds are like a sieve/ There may be those who rob her of her world, let them scratch the skin/ They are as pinpricks to the steel within/ These accolades are not exaggeration, not pretentious/ I Just want you to know that there is at least one who is conscious/ That the world is a better place for the life of a woman named Lorraine."

Wednesday, April 05, 1989

My Corner

Trapped in a corner with nothing to do--
No move to make to get closer to you;
My head falls forward. A tear trickles down,
and I realize there's just no way out.

Later, a party--everyone's there;
I sit in a corner and at you I stare.
Everyone else is dancing and prancing.
Here I sit, in a corner, just glancing.

Alone again, I stretch on my bed.
Pulling my hair out; considering death;
Holding back tears; biting my lip;
praying no further we can slip;

The party is roaring. They're having a blast.
My wound is not healing. This gash has no cast.
I slouch in a corner. What can I do?
I wish for the strength to approach you.


By now, alone, your picture is plastered to me.
Looking at you, I see all that can be.
Visions inside appear very deep
of your thoughtful words resting my weep.

A girl in the distance notices you too,
only she has the strength to go up to you.
Off she goes and you join her gladly,
while in my corner, I sit here sadly.

Alas, a ring on my telephone dear,
and it's your voice I've been longing to hear.
As you speak, I find you called to see
if she was on the other line with me.

The music gets quiet. The faces fade away.
As I leave my corner of the party today,
the tears break through. I can't help but choke;
convincing myself that it's all a joke.

My line was open so it couldn't be,
so you're done talking on the phone with me.
"Oh yeah," you ask "what're you up to?"
Dumb question! Just thinking of you!

I continuously try to forget about you and her,
but I always end up here in my corner.

April 5, 1989

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home